Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Few Errands

I took the opportunity the other day (Friday, March 30th) to run a few errands. Errands that have been weighing on me for some time; and what better place to run them than the Steelhead Strip Mall, or the Eastern Tribs as most know them.

At first light, I stopped at one of my favourite "stores" as they always have a great selection of spirited first year class specimens, along with the occasional Costco Goliaths of monumental proportions. As an added bonus, they always seem to be in stock. The problem is most everyone knows about it and trying to stop by on a weekend can be claustrophobic. It also means that its products are highly educated, which requires quite a bit of wit and creativity to find them. When I arrived, I was excited to see that only one other patron was loitering about. We exchanged pleasantries and I quickly proceeded to my favourite aisle.

After a number of drifts and several offerings, I switched up one more time. The float meandered along when it suddenly and deliberately was sucked under. I raised the rod in exaltation, and a gigantic boil formed by something even larger sub-surface. It's mammoth head shook from side to side and the rod bounced in synchronicity. The Goliath rocketed upstream and the line sung under the tension. With my eyes as wide as two half moons, and mouth agape, it stopped, rolled, and my line went limp. My morale was shattered with the loss and I wanted to sit on a log and cry. After a long moment of sulking, I picked myself up and headed upstream, where I was able to redeem myself with a couple decent finds.


In this particular store one must contend with sometimes very daunting obstacles.
After a few hours, I stopped at 2 other shops and picked up a few more things, including a drop-back male that looked like a football, and a spunky shaker that fought beyond its years.

It certainly wasn't a bad day at all. In fact, a day of retail therapy was just what I needed to work out the bugs from the last few months of inactivity.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chinook7 said...

What a delight to experience such gargantuan Steelhead! You are a very serious angler.

10:13 PM  
Blogger BCM said...

Yeah, I'm still having flashbacks of it. Still trying to figure out what went wrong. . .should have used that 12lb leader ;-)

10:43 PM  
Blogger lambton said...

Great Job Brian. Those lost fish will tear at your soul. Ya just gotta get them out of your hear ;0)
We just got back from the "BulkFood stores" of Steelhead Alley. I think I am suffereing from Repetitive strain injury now.
Not complaining though :0)
Glad to read things are coming together over on your side.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Trotsky said...

Some of my favourite stories invlove fish that never come to hand....god bless 'em!

1:40 AM  
Blogger BCM said...

Lambton: I feel absolutely no pity for you and your "Steelhead Elbow" ;-) I've been thinking, those fish would be a lot fun on some light fly gear. I think I may try it the next time I'm down there.

Trotsky: Yeah, they do make for some great stories. The only thing with a good fish story though is that nobody really believes them.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Trotsky said...

"I am never one to let the truth interfere with a good story"
-John Gierach

12:40 AM  
Blogger BCM said...

Ain't that the truth!

10:05 PM  
Blogger PaulGHurtubise said...

Those big Eastern Lake O fish do sometimes leave a stripe in your waders. Nice shopping analogy, too :)

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home