Monday, October 30, 2006

Lazy Monday Afternoon

When it rains, it pours. Such was the case this past weekend with the rivers in my area receiving 30-40 mm of precipitation. Gale force winds approaching 90 km/h made fishing impossible; but that didn't stop me from taking a walk with rod in hand along a nearby stream yesterday. With water the colour of mud and the banks flooded, let's just say, "it was great just being out there".

Today, with a few hours to spare in the afternoon, I decided to take a leisurely drive to some of my favourite Eastern Lake Ontario tributaries. To my surprise, they were in stellar shape. With limited time, I went straight to a few spots that have always treated me well in the past, and today, they did not disappoint.

Addendum - Nov 2, 2006: Due to a relatively busy schedule this week, I never really had the opportunity to complete this entry until now. Allow me to continue, if you please. . .

Let me start with a little background of the Eastern Lake Ontario tributaries. The "East" is unique in that there are a series of well known streams within throwing distance of one another. These streams comprise Duffins Creek, Oshawa Creek, Bowmanville Creek, Wilmot Creek, and the Ganaraska River (of course there are others, but I will leave some of it to your own exploration). All are relatively small flows, averaging 3-6 metres across, but don't let their small size fool you. These streams breed some of the largest wild Salmonids in the Great Lakes.

The beauty of fishing this area is that each river reacts in its own unique way to what the weather has to throw at them. If one river isn't fishing well, all you have to do is hop in the car and drive a couple kilometres to the next. I liken it to a strip-mall for fishing. As with any shopping centre, one must pay the price of convenience. If what you're looking for is solitude where your only company is the sights, sounds and the beauty of nature, you should look elsewhere, as most of the Eastern tributaries meander through townships, and under major highways, roads and railways.

During my afternoon at the "mall", I stopped at 3 rivers, and found fish in all of them, but was only able to entice fish in 2. All were incredibly charged, leaping at every opportunity, and with each leap I crossed my fingers in hopes that I would still be connected upon each landing. Their chrome silver sides were magnificent; the opportunity to hold such wild beauty for a moment left me smiling ear to ear.

This is my kind of shopping. . .

The beauty is so hypnotic that sometimes it's hard to let go

3 Comments:

Blogger SD said...

I too managed a few hours out, seeking salvation from a torent few weeks of personal issues.

Losing a big fresh Brown on a swung Dee Fly, in the lower stretches of an Eastern System, did nothing to improve my mood.

My saving grace was actually getting out with the Spey Rod..

7:50 AM  
Blogger BCM said...

You were fortunate enough to have found one. I went out expecting to find a few Browns, but was left scratching my head.

9:42 AM  
Blogger SD said...

They (Brown's) have not followed the previous seasons in terms of typical return times.

Yet this season does seem to be going against the grain thus far..

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home