Monday, May 21, 2007

Fishing as a Spectator Sport


Work has been wreaking havoc on my fishing schedule lately, but I was able to have a nice outing with Dave W this past Monday. This was Dave's first outing of the season on the UC; however, he picked up right where he let off last year - and that was catching fish.

With 8 cars already at our access point, we decided to go in exploration of some uncharted waters for fish that had yet to see a fly this season. We found a spot that was made in fishing heaven. Dave displayed his mastery of deep nymphing and had success almost immediately. I managed to entice a very sizeable fish to take my #16 offering, but lost the battle when it decided to take a surprising run downstream. After shouting out a few choice words, I assumed the position of photographer, cheerleader and spectator as Dave continued to catch fish. One was a domestic Rainbow with a big heart and beautiful colours.

On Friday, when I was at home recovering from a hellacious work trip, Dave decided to revisit this same area. Within 15 minutes of arriving streamside, he found himself battling 18 inches of mad Brown - one of the most beautiful specimens I have ever seen and an absolute trophy for the UC.




Although fishing can be a great spectator sport, its novelty dies off very quickly, and I'm hoping to become an active participant soon.

10 Comments:

Blogger Trotsky said...

Nice fish...
I am getting sick of saying that to you.
:o)

5:09 PM  
Blogger Varo said...

Hi from Spain.

Very beautiful brownies and also great blog. I´ll return to visit frequently.

I linked your blog with the mine:

http://lineasconvida.blogspot.com/

Cheers

6:23 AM  
Blogger Wallacio said...

Thanks for hosting pictures of my fish - saves me from keeping my own blog!!!

Seriously though, I wish you could have been there on Friday...what an unbelievable evening. Hopefully one of us will get a rematch with that 20" fish that broke me off!

10:49 AM  
Blogger SD said...

Noice Brown'age for the UC indeed !!

I've never been into that whole UC scene... Too many "dry" only or "holy water" guys in it for me..

12:09 PM  
Blogger Wallacio said...

SD,

You're right about the eccentric "purists" on the UC! Most fellow anglers are friendly enough and I just ignore the ones with an axe to grind.

Before moving to the Caledon area, I primarily fished the Grand and after getting the know the UC (and her fish) quite well, I could care less about the tailwater fisheries with their stocked, unnaturally behaving fish not to mention the fishing pressure. Having to resort to 8X tippets and #28 flies insn't my cup of tea (of course, no offence to the Grand fans).

Besides the wild fish and classic trout stream structure, the best part about the UC is the virtual lack of pressure, especially on weekday evenings. On Friday, I had a relatively popular beat all to my self and was fortunate enough to tangle with two trophies in only a few hours!

2:34 PM  
Blogger BCM said...

Trotsky: I have to regrettably admit that none of the fish in this entry were ever connected to my fly line - all have fallen prey to the wrath of Dave W.

Varo: Thanks for visiting. Your blog is very well done, and I will add a link to my sidebar. Although I probably only know about 5 words in Spanish, I understand the universal language of the photograph and they are fantastic.

SD: To be honest, I have only met one fellow that was "holier than we" in all my days up at the UC (see my "Unusual Breed of Man" blog entry). For the most part the fellow UC feather frothers have been very friendly, and I always take joy in the exchange of pleasantries and a few chuckles with those I encounter. You should give it another go - you won't be dissappointed.

Dave: Yup, it appears once again, "Fisherman's Law" reared its ugly head over me on Friday. I will be making it up this week, however. ;-)

12:19 AM  
Blogger SD said...

While I do appreciate the beauty of a "natural" Trout stream, my theory of fishing a habitat that sees much pressure, is of another realm I suppose. Just personal opinion however.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Varo said...

Thanks.

I am starting to translate some of my post so now you can understand some of them. In adition, English (like photografy;-)) is the universal language so everybody understands you.

Cheers

7:54 AM  
Blogger Trotsky said...

I think that I hate all three of you clowns..
:o)

11:51 AM  
Blogger SD said...

S'ok G, I'll just rub some Salt in that wound & post a lil sumthin up after I return from an all-day venture tonight ;-)

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home