Monday, November 13, 2006

Sunday, Muddy Sunday


It has been a wet fall indeed. To date, we have barely gone more than 5 days without precipitation. As mentioned in previous entries, this in combination with a cooler than average late summer, has resulted in runs of migratory salmon and trout much earlier than in recent years. This has also lead to some phenomenal fishing; but only if timed right. However, as we all know, with life's other obligations our time to fish doesn't always coincide with good fishing time.

Yesterday (November 12th) was one of those occasions. Rain had steadily succumbed to gravity's pull the entire day prior, and upon arrival at the river I knew to expect to see her bloated after her binge. She is the worst yo-yo dieter I know, as she had gained 20 cm in height and looked sickly as she traded in her georgeous emerald hue for a muddy makeover within 24 hours. The fishing was tough. The good news is, I had the entire river to myself aside from a pair of unusually happy kayakers. And I did manage to find a few fish. Although they were on the smaller side (2-4lbs) , I was pleased that the aroma of skunk stayed at bay.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i think more anglers should showcase the fish tail in their fish tales. it's one of the most impressive parts of a fish (especially steelhead), but most people cover it up for the photo. great pictures, bcm.

3:23 PM  
Blogger SD said...

Nice to see you have gotten "out n about" this past weekend.

I've been trotting 'round the East the last few days & feel like I'm looking at a glass of water on each system. Not the best of conditions. Oh well the entertainment the last 2 days on a certian board has made up for my lack of fish...

3:45 PM  
Blogger BCM said...

The fish tail is probably the most unheralded part of the fish's anatomy, yet it is the very appendage that provides those screaming runs and acrobatic leaps that we love - I'm with you, mad fishicist.

Thanks SD. I'm still looking foward to a trip to your neck of the woods, although I always prefer to go on a weekday. Weekends usually spell crowds and spooked fish.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home